Tractor Supply Company

Friday, October 3, 2008

Bad Boy Buggies

In the spring of 2007, I broke down and bought a Bad Boy Buggie. I have bought a lot of stuff for hunting over the years but the BBB has to rank as one of the all-time best purchases I have made.

First, let's get the bad points out of the way:
  • It is too tall. They need to shave about 4" off the height
  • It needs a light inside. When it is dark, it is hard to find the right button to push
  • It cost too much. They are approaching $9000 nowadays.
  • It needs to run faster. It ain't no speed demon but I think it runs about 15-20 mph.
  • Heavy...about 1600 pounds
  • It takes more room than an ATV to turn around.

But, the good points far outweigh these "cons":

  • Quiet!
  • Will go in mud and water up to say, 8 "
  • Runs about 20 miles on a charge. I have never run mine down completly
  • Carries four hunters easily
  • We use it about as much around the house as I do hunting.

Overall, I would give the BBB a 9 out of 10 in meeting or exceeding expectations. I have driven to within 75 yards of a gobbling turkey and did not spook him. Yes, I did kill that one.

I have driven within 50 yards of feral hogs without spooking them. Yes, we did get into them.

The Buggy allows an older hunter like me to cover more ground, find more game, and just enjoy the hunt more. I have a friend who swears he kills more game ON the BBB than he does OFF the Buggy. My dogs love to ride on it and I use it for conditioning them prior to hunting season.

Is it a four-wheeler? No. If you need something to handle the mud in rice fields, go deep into a bad area to get a big buck, or really hog across logs in heavy mud, a true ATV would be better. But, for 99% of my hunting, it has been totally satisfactory.


No comments: