Tractor Supply Company

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Internal Parasite Control in Hunting Kennels

For all practical purposes, you need two products for internal parasite control ("worms") in hunting dogs.  Now, this doesn't address heartworm prevention.....just intestinal parasites.

Fenbendazole is available as a white liquid or a powder.  The liquid is handier.  It is marketed as Panacur or Safegard and is available in most farm stores.  Now, if you only have one or two dogs, it is cheaper to buy the product from your veterinarian.  But, if you have a large number  of dogs, you might be justified in buying a liter bottle.

Fenbendazole needs to be dosed for 3-5 straight days by mouth. Your veterinarian can give you an appropriate dose. Fenbendazole treats hookworms, whipworms, and roundworms.  It does not treat tapeworms.  It is very safe and effective.

I do not recommend Valbazen (a similar product) due to reports of blood problems after its use.

Pyrantel (Strongid, Nemex, etc.) is a yellow liquid that is useful in puppies.  It treats roundworms and hookworms.   In my hands, it is not as effective as fenbendazole but is a one-day treatment.  I use it mostly on puppies.

Tapeworms are a whole "nuther ballgame.  The drug, praziquantel, is more expensive so I don't reco that kennels routinely use it.  Your vet can do that for you and your total cost/year will be less.

Now, if you are using a heartworm prevention product that also  treats "worms", you may not need to worry about treating specifically for intestinal parasites.  A conversation with your vet will be in order to clarify your exact needs.

For my own dogs (I have four hunting dogs), I take a stool sample to the clinic 4 times per year and my technicians check them under the microscope.  Then, I treat as needed.  Since they are on heartworm prevention year round and are in off-ground kennels,  I admit, I rarely find any parasites.

No comments: