Tractor Supply Company

Sunday, December 9, 2012

.280 Ackley Improved

For many years, my son has been after me to get someone to build me a "custom" rifle.  Well, I had enough rifles and they all functioned well plus I am cheap.

But, last year, I finally decided to take the leap.  I located L-D Precision in Leedy OK and, after dozens of phone calls and emails, the process began.

Of course, the primary question was caliber.  I spent months and months reading and researching before electing the .280 Ackley.

Obviously, any of the .270, .30-06, fast 30's (.300 Win, etc.) 7 Mag are excellent choices and will handle 95% of any North American hunter's needs. But, if you are gonna build a custom rifle, why not get a little sex appeal in the deal?

The .280 AI is a wonderful round.  After running a number of bullets through it, I have settled on the 140 grain Accubond.  My rifle just likes them and I am 5 for 5 with it on game.

.280 AI shooters are usually handloaders too but Nosler makes a perfect round for it "factory-wise". And, yes, I shoot them sometimes too.

So, if you are looking for a flat-shooting, all-around chambering with very modest recoil, I'd suggest at least looking at the .280 AI.

No comments: