Tractor Supply Company

Friday, December 7, 2012

Kitchen or Kennel? Housing the Hunting Dog

I see it both ways all the time:  the hunting dog raised in the house and the dog raised in the kennel.  There are advantages and disadvantages of both.

From strictly a training standpoint, I think dogs kept in kennels do better because they know if you show up with hunting clothes or training gear, they are gonna get to work which is what they love.  On the other hand, if they are lying on the couch and you say "Let's go train" the transition from being a buddy to a working partner may be more difficult for the dog to assimilate.

Health wise, I really think dogs do better in an outdoor kennel assuming it is safe, warm, draft-free and comfortable.  I see many issues with dogs in the house from chewed furniture, housebreaking problems, and dietary indiscretion  (eating the wrong stuff).

On the other hand, I have lots of friends who keep their dogs in their house and love it.  True enough, the bonding process is stronger and there is lots of time for simple obedience training inside the home, e.g. teaching sit, stay, "here", etc.

Realistically, it is a personal decision and depends on your family's lifestyle, your spouse's tolerance level, and just the way you feel about your dog.

Me?  I am a 50:50 owner. They live in the kennel but spend a lot of time in the house.  At bedtime, they go back to their real home.  Like most folks, I enjoy my dogs lying be the fire or my recliner so I can reach down and touch her.

No comments: