Tractor Supply Company

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Shotguns

Look, I have owned practically every brand of shotgun available to the average hunter AND I have shot Purdeys,  Parkers, and held one Boss.

Here's the reality:  There's only one shotgun that a hunter needs:  A Remington 870 Express 12 ga 3 inch magnum.

Of course, who wants to own just one shotgun?

So, for everything except waterfowl and spring gobblers,  I shoot a side-by-side 16 gauge.

The 16 has the killing power of a "12" with the weight of a "20".  Shells?  Well, I do reload a lot of them but they are really not that hard to find.  www.ableammo.com, www.ammotogo.com, or even the big box stores like Academy, Dick's, etc. have them all along.  Ammo availability has not been a real problem for me.

Typically, I like a 1-ounce load because it is a "square" load for the 16.  If you think you need1 1/4 ounces of shot, you actually need a 12.  Over the years,  I have gone to 7 1/2 shot for almost everything but that is mostly for convenience in the reloading room.

For pheasants, I admit I will put some 6's in my vest.  And, believe it or not, we still do "drive hunts" for deer down here and I will cram some buckshot in (although my experience with buck shot on game has been universally disappointing).

My "go to" field gun?  It's a Bill McManus Bird Gun but I also like the Upland Specials from Lion Country Supply. They are great for the money.  I do prefer extractors rather than ejectors because it's getting harder to bend over as I age and I need to save the hulls.  I grew up with double triggers and I think in the lower priced doubles, single triggers are more likely to require repair over time.

Now, on that 870 Express.................

No comments: